Summertime is all about fun in the sun, especially after the winter we had! But how do you keep your skin safe in the sun? What sun care tips do you give your clients?
We’ve compiled a few of our top tips to share with you.
1. Sunscreen is not just for summer.
Sunscreen is not just for summertime, especially not in Alberta. We should be wearing sunscreen everyday of the year and it should have an SPF of 30 or more. You should be asking your clients all year round about their sun care routine and educating them of the importance of using sunscreen 365 days a year.
2. Avoid the sun at peak hours.
Using sunscreen is great practice but it doesn’t trump sun avoidance. It’s also advised to avoid exposure to the sun during peak hours, which are between 10 am and 4 pm.
3. Reapply Sunscreen.
It’s not enough to apply sunscreen once and carry on with your day. You should be advising clients to reapply sunscreen at least every two hours. If you are swimming or sweating, you will have to reapply more often.
4. Hats aren’t just for the Royal Family.
If you know that you will be in the sun for extended time and during peak hours, then wear a hat. A broad-brimmed hat and sunglasses with UVA/UVB protection are the best.
5. Cover up.
This is a tough one, especially since we have been bundled up all winter long. But, clothing is the best protection for your skin.
6. Extra care in certain situations.
Take extra care if you, or your client, are using chemical exfoliants, like AHAs or BHA. Chemical peels or products with AHA are best in the fall/winter months or if you know your client is vigilant with sun protections. Also ask if your client is on any medication that increases photo sensitivity, such as antibiotics.
Enjoy the sun but protect your skin. Here’s our lineup of top recommended sunscreens:
DAILY PROTECT OIL FREE SPF 30 DAYTIME MOISTURIZER
Oil Free Daily Protect Moisturizer guards your skin against harmful UV rays and premature aging. It’s lightweight, fast – absorbing and designed to effectively balance oil production while delivering broad spectrum protection. Green tea is full of potent antioxidants that help fight free radicals, while sodium hyaluronate, vitamin E and cucumber are added to condition and provide ultimate hydration.
What it does:
• Protects skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays
• Helps prevent premature aging caused by sun exposure
Conditions and hydrates the skin while balancing oil
SERENE ANTI-AGE PROTECT
• Progressive SPF- 20/30/50+
• Designed with "Tattoo-Guardian" Technology tor Protect and Condition your Ink
• Continuous Spray, Oil Based
• Spray 1, 2, or 3 times Depending on level of Protection Needed - Each Coat adds an Extra 10-20 degrees of protection
• Wait 3 minutes between coats
• No need to spread product
• Patented Melanup + Technology Allows development of a Tan Without Exposure to UV rays
• Tattoo Formula for Sensitive Skin / Paraben Free / Nickel Tested